Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Fruit salad

I made a really fantastically delicious fruit salad today. All fresh fruit, no bananas, no yogurt.
I always wanted to like fruit salad-- I'd always eat it and like the idea of it, but really I think I just liked the marshmallows my mom put in it. There was something about the canned fruit with the yogurt... But today there was a fruit salad revolution in my head. My cousin and I are off sugary treats just now, so I've been eating a lot of fruit, and I've been wanting fruit salad the past few days. And today it happened.

I like bananas-- I think they're an awesome fruit. I like banana pudding pie, banana milkshakes, banana splits, But I don't like them mixed with other fruits. I hate juice, smoothies, etc with banana in them. Doesn't work for me. I like my bananas purely banana, or with, say, chocolate.

So I left bananas out of the salad.

I also left out yogurt, because although I like yogurt now, I didn't growing up, and have possibly irrational negative associations of yogurt and fruit salad.

For the fruit, I used: red and green grapes, pineapple (fresh, not canned!), apple, clementines (peeled and sectioned);
For the sauce, I used: sour cream, brown sugar, lemon juice, nutmeg, and cloves.

I meant to put in some lemon and orange zest, too, but forgot.
I didn't measure anything, either, so I'll probably never ever be able to make it again.

Anyway, I'm pretty proud of the salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment